If You Are A Victim Of A Crime

If you are the victim of a crime while at ENMU, report it immediately to the ENMU Police Department. In case of emergency, call 911. For non-emergencies, call 562.2392.

When you call:

  • Give your name
  • The location you are calling from
  • A brief description of what occurred
  • And whether the person who committed the crime is still in the area.

Prompt reporting and specific information will increase the chances of solving your case. An ENMU police officer will be dispatched to meet with you and obtain all of the necessary information.

IF evidence from the crime is still intact, please do not move or destroy it. This is especially important in sexual assault cases. Note: Showering, changing clothes, or grooming can destroy vital evidence.

Many students worry about reporting crimes to the police because they do no want to testify in a trail. Victims are nevertheless encouraged to at least contact the ENMU Police Department so they can be made aware of other services (counseling services, medical treatment, etc.) that might lessen the trauma of the incident. If the victim does not wish to pursue criminal charges, their wishes will be respected.

Students who are victims of crimes may also pursue recourse through the ENMU Student Judicial System. While this is not a substitute for the criminal justice system, it affords students the opportunity to have their side heard in a less formal environment. If an accused student is found to have violated the Student Code of Conduct, he or she may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from ENMU. Both the victim and accused will be afforded the same opportunities within the student judicial process, and both shall be informed of the outcome of any campus disciplinary proceedings alleging sexual assault.

Students interested in this course of action may call the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs at 562.2221 or obtain further information in the ENMU Student Handbook or through the ENMU Police Department.