Status: Full-time position
Location: Odessa, TX
Job Summary: Responsible for performing regular physical, bacteriological, instrumental, and chemical analyses of various water and wastewater samples from Odessa as well as numerous other cities and entities in order to ensure that drinking water and reclaimed water are safe according to strict Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), and National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (NELAP) regulations. Responsible for processing and maintaining records on all analyses.
Ability to work independently or under minimal supervision to complete assigned responsibilities. Ability to efficiently and accurately carry a heavy analytical workload either individually or in a team environment while maintaining the highest standards of safety and integrity.
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, or Microbiology strongly preferred. Completion of at least eight hours college chemistry required. One year experience in a working laboratory environment preferred.
Must possess a valid Texas “C” Driver License. Encouraged to obtain TCEQ Water, TCEQ Wastewater, and TWUA Laboratory Analyst certifications.
Will be exposed to acids and other hazardous chemicals. Will be exposed to wastewater samples with unpleasant odors and unknown characteristics. Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift approximately 50 pounds. Cannot be colorblind. Some weekend and after hours work required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must already possess a strong knowledge of laboratory procedures and safety practices. Must be able to clean and maintain advanced instruments and equipment with minimal supervision. Must be able to troubleshoot complex instruments and perform repairs after training. Must be able to interpret results as they relate to strict EPA, TCEQ, and NELAP requirements. Ability to conduct and interpret assigned laboratory procedures quickly and accurately after reasonable training. Ability to accurately process large amounts of data into various computer programs including basic programs such as Excel and advanced programs specific to laboratory instruments. Ability to read, write, understand and follow oral and written instructions in English. Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and the public in oral and written forms.
Duties: 1. Conducts bacteriological, chemical, physical, and instrumental analyses of water samples submitted to the laboratory from internal and external customers in accordance with EPA, TCEQ, and NELAP regulations to ensure that drinking water is safe for consumption and to monitor water quality at various stages of treatment.
2. Conducts bacteriological, chemical, physical, and instrumental analyses of wastewater samples submitted to the laboratory from internal and external customers in accordance with EPA, TCEQ, and NELAP regulations to ensure that reclaimed water is safe for use or discharge to receiving streams and to monitor wastewater at various stages of treatment.
3. Is responsible for interpretation of analytical data that directly impacts the health and safety of the City and the City’s customers.
4. Interprets analytical data and notifies supervisors of results in a timely manner.
5. Utilizes and maintains advanced analytical instrumentation for the testing of water and wastewater. This includes calibrating instruments and performing all related quality control analysis. Must be able to troubleshoot complications with instrumentation with minimal supervision.
6. Performs demonstrations of capability and proficiency testing to maintain certifications.
7. Maintains equipment and supplies for the laboratory as well as for the City’s water and wastewater treatment facilities. This includes accurately maintaining extensive records tracking all chemicals, supplies, and equipment used for daily operations.
8. Maintains accurate and extensive analytical data records for internal and external customers. Must be able to perform calculations and enter large amounts of analytical data in various computer and instrumental programs.
9. Prepares reagents for use at the laboratory and water and wastewater treatment facilities. Performs standardizations of reagents to ensure quality.
10. Prepares for and participates in routine internal audits with management and the Quality Assurance Officer and external audits with TCEQ assessors.
11. Must maintain work area, supplies, and equipment in an orderly, safe, and clean manner.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
To apply online, visit