An agency account is an account that is held by the University for an organization. An organization's money is deposited to ENMU and checks are issued from ENMU on behalf of the organization. ENMU is the fiscal agent for the organization’s agency account; therefore, University policies and procedures must be followed. (For example, ENMU cannot purchase or reimburse individuals for alcohol.)
With an agency account, transactions are recorded on ENMU’s general ledger, thus providing a history of activity. Also, when following ENMU purchasing guidelines, an agency account falls under the umbrella of the University’s tax exemption status. It is only worthwhile for an organization to open an agency account if account will be exceeding $1,000 annually.
As part of University guidelines, individuals cannot be reimbursed for purchases; a purchase order must used to order from a vendor. If members of the organization plan to travel, a Travel Voucher must be completed.
To Open an Agency Account
- Schedule an appointment with the Business Office.
- Obtain a request form from the Business Office. Complete and sign the form—two student officers and the advisor need to sign. Return the form to the Business Office. This form will need to be updated each time there is a change in officers or advisor.
- Within five (5) University business days the registered student organization will be assigned an account number.
To Make Deposits
- Obtain deposit slips from the cashier.
- Complete the deposit slips — make sure the account number is correct.
- Write the account number on the back of each check.
- Take the deposit slip and deposit to the cashier between 8 a.m.–4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Please allow one (1) university business day for the deposit to be posted to the account.
Purchases and Payments
- University purchasing guidelines must be followed. If you have questions, please call Purchasing before making any purchases.
- Obtain a requisition form from the Business Office
- Complete the requisition form. It is preferred that the form be typed with the complete name and address of the vendor. Give a complete description of the item to be purchased.
- The requisition needs to be signed by one of the two students listed on file at the Business Office and the advisor.
- The requisition will not be processed if there is not enough money in the account to cover the request.
- Account balances and history are available upon request. The request must be made by one of the people listed on file in the Business Office.
- A budget does not have to be prepared for the Business Office, although one should prepared for the benefit of the organization.
- Payments to individuals for services (independent contractors) will require a Professional Technical Services Agreement form. Please contact the Purchasing Office for the form.
- If traveling, please contact the Business Office for information regarding guidelines.