Tip sheet is available online at library home page > Distance Education Services > Research Tip Sheets.Online Library Resources
The library's all-in-one Catalog enables you to search everything in the library at one time, including books, music, films, journal articles, eBooks, and selected external, online material. If you are searching only for journal articles, using individual, subject-appropriate periodical databases is highly recommended. For best results, exit Blackboard and go directly to the library home page to begin your research.
To access the Catalog, go to the main search box on the library home page.
- To search everything at once, enter your search term in the All Resources Search Box; Keyword is the default, but you may select Author or Title, instead. Click the Search button.
- Go to the left-hand sidebar to limit or target your search:
- For full-text or peer-reviewed journal articles, select the Full-text or Peer Reviewed boxes under the Refine Your Search section. Move the date scroll bar to the right to limit your search by publication date. Then click the Update button. You may also select Academic Journals and/or other choices at the Show More link under the Limit by Source Type section. Additionally, you may select a Subject, Publisher, Publication, or Database(s), if applicable. Always click the Update button under each section to insure that your changes take effect.
- To see only books, video or audio items, make your selections at Limit by Source Type and use the Show More link, if needed. You may also select a subject and publisher, if desired. Click the Update button when finished.
- You may limit your search to items in Golden Library only by checking the Catalog Only box on the main search screen or under the Refine Your Search section.
Once your search results are displayed, you need to access or locate the material.
- For journal articles, click any PDF, HTML, LinkSource, Linked Full Text, View this record from... , Online Access link to view full-text articles. If no full-text link is available, click the "Place an ILL Request" link, when visible, if you wish to request the article via Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Be advised that Linked Full Text and LinkSource links provide full text only about 50% of the time.
- For eBooks, if an "eBook Full Text" link is visible, click the link and read it online. The eBook Full Text links constitute only a small portion of eBooks that we have available. To access additional eBooks, see the eBook Collections section on the Periodical Databases page.
- For electronic resources, click the Online Access link which takes you to an external full-text source.
- For print books, video, audio, maps, documents, etc., a location code, call number or other link will be displayed.
- If the item is only available at Golden Library, you will see the call number, the status (Check Shelves means it is on the shelf) and the location within the library.
- If the item is also available through other NM academic libraries, click the Multiple Locations link and scroll down until you see the call number, status and location for ENMPO (ENMPO = ENMU). If the item does not display ENMPO information, you must request it via ILL.
To search for journal articles only, in a database specifically designed for your subject matter, go to the library home page, scroll down and click Periodical Databases link, and select one of the databases listed below at the Databases by Name alphabetical list in the upper right. Click the letter that begins the database name and then the database name link; if you are off campus, enter your ENMU student ID# at the remote authentication screen.
To search only within a specific online journal, go to the library home page and click the Journal Titles A-Z tab atop the main search box. Enter journal title in the box and click the Search button. If the journal is available online, you will see one or more database choices; click an appropriate link and search by year/volume/issue, or search within the publication by entering a search term in an available search box.
Databases for Fine Arts Research
- Oxford Art--scholarly, full text
- Oxford Music--scholarly, full text
- Academic Search Premier--scholarly, full text
- JSTOR--scholarly, full text except current issues
- ARTstor database for art images
- Naxos Music Library--listening library
- History Reference Center--art history, scholarly, full text
- Berg Fashion Library
- Computers and Applied Sciences Complete--scholarly, full text; graphic design, digital cinema
- Education Research Complete--scholarly, full text; art and music education
- ARTSEARCH and Current Jobs in Art--job sites
- Directory of Open Access Journals
Fine Arts Web Resources
American Photography: A Century of Images
Film Studies Resources
History of Photography
Music Treasures Consortium
Theatre History on the Web
University Of Iowa's Digital Media Resources
Art History Resources on the Web
Women Artists of the American West
Zaplin Lampert Gallery (Taos and Santa Fe art colonies)
Register with the ILLiad Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system and create your personal ILLiad account. Go to the Interlibrary Loan link and click on the ILLiad Log In/Register link on the left-hand sidebar. Click on the "First Time Users" button and register with the system. Enter your ENMU email address, create an ILLiad username of your own choosing, and enter your ENMU ID number as your ILLiad password. Return to the same ILLiad Log In/Register link and logon to your ILLiad account to use the system.
- if you are taking classes on the main campus, check Golden Library's holdings first, before submitting a request. If your item is unavailable online or in the library, you may place an ILL request.
- if you are a distance education student and do not come to the main campus for your classes, you may request anything not available full-text online via ILL, including items in Golden Library.
On-campus students may pick up requested items at the library's Circulation Desk. Items requested from distance education students will be sent directly to them. 99% of articles will be available electronically via your ENMU email account or your ILLiad account--login to your account and click the Electronically Delivered Articles link in the left-hand sidebar. For items we must request from other libraries, the turnaround time may be as long as two weeks for books; most articles arrive within 2-3 days. Golden Library has no control over lending terms and renewal policies set by other libraries.
Ask for help! Contact Michele Wood, or by phone at 562.2644 or 800.450.7279.